Crucial for improving hygiene standards:
Good Kitchen Staff
What's a kitchen team without good kitchen staff? In a hotel particularly, kitchen assistants are the backbone of the back-of-house operations. Let’s dig in and explore how this role can be better supported by your hotel.
The kitchen department plays an important role in the functioning of both food production and food and beverage services in a hotel. The kitchen assistant can make a great impact on the smooth flow of hotel operations. The following are some of his primary tasks to perform:
- Keep all food and beverage working areas clean and free from dirt and grease
- Maintain hygiene and quality of the kitchenand the equipment used there
- Responsible for cleaning of all chinaware, glassware, silverware and serving equipment
- Facilitate all plate-up and delivery of food for prospective functions
- Ensure proper garbage disposal to prevent cross-contamination
- Control inventory and stock food the right way, at the right temperature
- Responsible for the set-up and breakdown of all banquet buffets
The functions of the kitchen assistant are slowly evolving. Today, the kitchen assistant complements the role of a chef and the F&B manager, especially in maintaining hygiene and sanitation standards in a hotel in the area of dishwashing. The hard work of a kitchen assistant can be improved with the use of professional dishwashing machines of the latest generation. Knowing how to handle and maintain them correctly is part of their work.
- First things first, all kitchen staff should have knowledge about all operating equipment in the kitchen. This includes glassware, chinaware, flatware, and hollowware. They should also familiarise themselves with the right handling procedures of the kitchen equipment.
- Kitchen staff should take all dirty tableware and rearrange all the cutleries according to their types. This should be done prior to putting them in the dishwashing machine.
3. When operating a dishwasher, consider the dishwasher water replacement once every two hours, or similarly when the chemicals are overloaded, the water is dirty and foul, or when instructed by the supervisor.
4. Ensure the dishwashing machine is running correctly by constantly checking on the temperature, chemical dispenser, and the water supply.
5. Handle the equipment well. Remember to keep the dishwashing machine clean - work quickly but carefully!
After all, the absence of an organised kitchen team, there would only be chaos inside the kitchen.
But let’s find out how professional dishwashers can help to improve hygiene standards.
A good warewashing operation not only results in clean glassware and chinaware, but does it with maximum efficiency. And more importantly it makes the kitchen assistant’s life easier. Bearing the purpose in mind, MEIKO - from undercounter dishwashers, glass washers, pass through dishwashers, flight and rack type dishwashing machines and trolley washers, specialises in each and every aspect of creating clean solutions. Be it 4-star establishments or boutique hotels, MEIKO offers best cleaning performances, keeping guests safe and keeping hotels full house.
MEIKO’s Energy and Water Saving system (EWS) removes dirt actively out of the machine while making sure water is kept to a minimum for optimal rinsing results. And with the M-iQ flight type dishwashing machine a laborious day ends quite easily. Only a few parts, marked in blue, need to be cleaned by hand. The greater workload does the machine in a process of self-cleaning by itself. The greatest benefit for the kitchen assistant? The manual effort is reduced which reduces mistakes and saves time that can be spent on other tasks. The hygienic conditions are inevitably improved. And an argument hotel owners particularly appreciate? Running costs are reduced.
Be it 4-star establishments or boutique hotels, MEIKO offers best cleaning performances, keeping kitchen assistants happy, guests safe and hotels full house.
For more information on MEIKO’s line of warewashing equipment, please contact us.
Source: Setup My Hotel, Tiger Hospitality, MEIKO’s website
Top hygiene with minimum water consumption
At the end of the washing operation the M-iQ cleans itself using the existing tank water. Only the parts which are blue have to be manually cleaned.